Finally, the kitkat update arrives on the Galaxy Note 8 (mine is a GT-N5100) in Indonesia. So far, I am still exploring. My main complaint is the battery life. Note 8's battery has always been disappointing. I only got 3 hours using 3G network mobile data. In Wifi use, I rarely got 5 hours for a full recharge before Kitkat and after the update, it drastically diminished. Until I performed reset to factory settings, started a new, carefully installed apps that I really need. So far, it doesn't help much.

The good thing about the update is the multi window, of course —I am one for getting productive with a tablet thus my choosing the Note 8. Paired with a bluetooth keyboard, it had helped through some development tasks while I was on the go. This is where things are getting interesting. Afer a couple of tinkering, the screen is full of floating app windows.

The usual split windows
The usual split windows
The floating app windows...
The floating app windows...

In case anybody is wondering...

By default, the apps that can be opened in floating window are marked with the left caret on the sidebar. So far, I only find it on Hangouts, Chrome, and Chrome Beta. It is shown in the sidebar once the app is opened.

Left caret that shows that the app can be opened in floating window
Left caret that shows that the app can be opened in floating window
Tap + to open!
Tap on the + sign (shown before the app icon appeared on the upper square) to open Chrome Beta in floating window.

Getting apps into the floating window

The idea is to get Chrome (Beta, in my case, but I think it'll work in Chrome too), which is in the floating window, to open other apps whether through share functions (that is how I get to open Wordpress, Whatsapp, Gmail, and Twitter in floating windows) or opening certain file type (a .pdf in Adobe Reader) or link (video link in Youtube).

Prompt to open Youtube app...
Prompt to open Youtube app...
Youtube app inside a floating window...
Youtube app inside the floating window that previously contained Chrome Beta...

Apps that can get into the floating window are ones that can be opened in split windows, i.e. those listed in the sidebar, theoretically.

The show of force...
The show of force...
The windows, mostly minimized...
The windows, mostly minimized...

Please note though... these floating windows in my Note 8 butcher the battery life even more.